Tuesday, November 13, 2012

From My Eyes...

Hey guys! Hope everyone enjoyed Veteran's Day, well it's back at it!....

This weekend I had the wonderful opportunity to attend the Church Of God In Christ Annual Holy Convocation in St. Louis, MO. It was a last minute trip but definitely a much needed one. I just want to talk about some of the things I saw this year. For some reason, I was at a different vantage point this year, maybe it was because I didn't have my family with me, not exactly sure, but nevertheless, I saw some things differently.

First off, my heart was grieved, my spirit was vexed and my mind was troubled as I watched the sight of young people at the Convocation. Many of the young men walked around acting like little girls, with tight clothes on, switching and twitching. It disturbed me because I saw so many and they seemed so comfortable among the people of God. "WOW", became my statement for the weekend! Then I saw young women, who had some of the tightest clothes on, that I have ever witnessed in my life. They were showing cleavage, lower and upper thighs, and not to mention the shape of their behinds. I am all for the young women not dressing like "old grandma's" but my goodness, decency and respect for yourself should come into play at some point.  I wondered if these young men had stable fathers in the home, I wondered were they aware of their mannerisms and actions. Even my roommate asked at one point "I wonder do their moms know they are out here acting like this?" It was a sight to behold. As for the young women, I wondered if they lacked attention somewhere in their life, I wondered are they trying to get the attention of someone in particular, I wondered did they realize what they were advertising? I don't care how saved and holy you are, when a man, a real man sees that type of exposure from your body, his mind automatically reflects to something else, now if he is a godly man full of the Holy Ghost (much like myself), he is able to pull himself back from those thoughts, however if he is not, he enters a lustful state of mind.

Secondly, I saw another group of people at the Convocation. I call them the "movers and shakers" probably not for the reason you think though. I call them that because everywhere I saw them they were moving and shaking somebody's hand. Everywhere they went, they were trying to leave their indelible print in the minds of famous people, authority figures and church leaders. Their sole focus was trying to climb what I call "The COGIC Ladder of Success." Ascending to the leadership of our church through namedropping and keeping appearances. I wondered, did these people really know what it meant to be in leadership? Are they sure that there character can handle all of the scandal that comes with leadership? Have they been trained for leadership? Do they have the qualities needed to lead others? Do they have a genuine love and concern for people? That is one thing that I can truly say about my pastor, He has a true concern and love for people. It takes that kind of attitude and perspective to be able to lead people and gain their respect. I even heard statements like "Don't forget me doc" and "When you get elevated, be sure and promote me too!" Those statements worried me so, because I would rather have a spirit led appointment than a man-made appointment and also faithfulness does still count for something right? Not all the time do people have the background, money, or experience, but because of their faithfulness, they should receive something. 

Thirdly, I saw a dying church. Again, probably not in the way you are thinking, but let me explain. I saw a church that appeared to be doing well on the outside, with our designer clothes, money and good appearances but on the inside there were so many internal problems. The power of the Lord moved so strongly during the youth services on Friday Night and Saturday Morning. Praise God for President Dillard, Vice President Young and Chairlady Rodgers who allowed the Lord to use them mightily as God completely and utterly destroyed the program to do what he wanted to do, however as I looked out over the crowd, there were still so many who were sitting there looking. The Lord had me to walk around in both services and I just observed people as the Holy Ghost was moving and I saw so many young people and adults for that matter, still playing, talking, texting, tweeting, facebooking, some were even changing shoes, putting on make-up, fixing their hair and at one point eating. I was so amazed at how they sat nonchalantly as the move of God went forth. Something else I saw, was a young man really trying to breakthrough, but those that were working with him, were lacking the fortitude and power to help bring him to his deliverance. One of the old mothers got up and began working with him and he almost reached it, but Mother became tired and had to sit, yet those who were there all along didn't have enough spirit or power to pick up where she left off. 

Finally, overall the trip was good, I definitely received what I needed from the Lord, but my heart was still disturbed for those individuals who had another agenda. My prayer for this generation is for us to become that Psalms 24:6, the generation that seeks him! Until next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment