Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Balancing Act

 I am a preacher, husband, father, I work two jobs, attend church regularly and am very active in my church. This of course makes for a hectic schedule. Sometimes it seems as if I wake up, go to work, go straight to church and come home. It seems to be a never ending cycle, because of the demands of life. As a father and husband, I have to provide shelter, utilities and food for my family which dictates that I must work. In addition, God has placed a special call on my life to minister his word, which causes me to travel and work extensively in my church, on a local, district, state, regional and even national level. This is what I call "The Great Balancing Act." 

Being a father is a totally new idea for me, although I had a great father, who taught and showed me what a Godly father is, doing it myself, has definitely been a challenge in itself. I took it upon myself to become heavily involved in my newborn son's life. I refused to be the typical father, who let the mother do all the work, while I sat idly by. I made the choice to be an active part of his life from his birth. As a result, my son is very close to me. In fact, there aren't many places I go, whether they are preaching engagements or traveling for ministry that he doesn't attend also. Very rarely do I leave him home, and if I do, it is usually with my parents or a dear friend of mine, who I refer to as my sister. As a child, my parents never threw me off on just anyone, I typically stayed with the same people, which showed me consistency and left me feeling comfortable. So, in return I have tried to give my son that same type of environment. 

I admonish fathers, to be an active part of your child's life. If you are going somewhere, and they can go, take them with you! That is the only way they will be exposed to new places, ideas and things. I remember so well when I was 4 years old, my Dad took me with him to Memphis, TN to our National Holy Convocation. It was my first time traveling out of state. We rode with our cousin, Greg Horton in his little burgundy Toyota Camry. I remember us stopping at Bojangles and getting a plain biscuit with strawberry jelly. I remember going to sleep and waking up asking "Are we there yet?" I remember arriving early, early in the morning. I also remember the convention center. It seemed so big at that time! Do you see what I mean? My dad took me with him and look at all the memories I still carry. I was four years old and I am now 24 years old and I often reflect back on that trip. He didn't leave me behind, but he carried me with him. I hope you can see where I was trying to go with this one! 

Until next time, remember Godly Fathers Produce Godly Sons!

No comments:

Post a Comment